How to Persuade People to Hire You
- Recognize the importance of the discourse of the professional workspace.
- Describe your transferable skills using the language of the professional workspace.
- Apply strategies for building your professional workspace discourse.
Use the Take Notes widget at the bottom right of the page to answer these questions and complete the exercises for this unit. Open or download the spreadsheet to complete exercise #1.
Questions to Consider
- Why it is important to adopt the discourse of the professional workspace?
- What do you need to communicate to employers during your professional job search?
- What are some examples of your technical skills, interpersonal skills, and personal qualities?
- In Know Your Options, you created a spreadsheet that listed all your transferable skills with evidence of where you applied those skills. Open your spreadsheet and re-write your statements into the language of employers. If you did not do this first exercise in Know Your Options, download the spreadsheet and instructions above to complete it.
- Building a professional discourse takes time. There were many strategies discussed in the video for achieving this objective. What steps will you take to continue to build your professional discourse? Set 4 SMART goals.