What do you do?
Identify the skills you developed while earning your PhD
At the end of this lesson, you will be able to:
- Describe the importance of your skills in the professional workspace.
- Identify the differences between technical skills, interpersonal skills, and personal qualities.
- Organize your academic experience in terms of the skills you have developed.
Use the Take Notes widget at the bottom right of the page to answer these questions and complete the exercises for this unit. Download the spreadsheet to complete exercise #2.
Questions to Consider
- Why is it important to consider your skills during a non-academic job search ?
- What is a deliverable?
- What are the differences between technical skills, interpersonal skills, and personal qualities?
- For each section of your CV, outline all your projects and deliverables. For each project or deliverable, list all the tasks you had to complete, the skills you had to use, and your achievements.
- Use the downloadable spreadsheet provided to list and organize all your transferable skills. In the previous exercise, you would have already identified skills, which you can now organize into your spreadsheet under the appropriate transferable skill heading.