FACULTY CAREER STRATEGIES
BY BEYOND THE PROFESSORIATE
Successful completion of the Faculty Career Strategies certificate ensures PhDs recognize components and requirements of a faculty job application, articulate their abilities and achievements in application documents, and successfully interview for and negotiate faculty positions.
Any PhD who is intent on going on the academic job market will benefit from completing the certification through Beyond the Professoriate. It provides necessary training for a successful academic job search including:
- preparation for going on the academic job market
- creating application documents
- interviewing confidently
- negotiating a faculty job offer
PhDs earn the certificate by completing all 10 units in the Faculty Careers for STEM OR Faculty Careers for Humanities and Social Sciences course. Completion of the course will take approximately 30 hours.
For PhDs & Graduate Students
√ Prepare your strategic plan.
Timing is everything. Determine the best time to go on the academic job market to maximize your success.
√ Empower you to make informed career choices.
Not all institutions and departments are created equal. Certification prepares you to assess your best career fit where you’ll thrive.
√ Recognize and articulate your achievements and future potential to build an impactful career.
Success on the job market requires demonstrating your future potential. Certification ensures your application documents reflect your potential in academia.
√ Increase Your Confidence
You’ll be more confident as you navigate the path to an academic position. You’ll know what to include in your application documents and how to approach screening and on-campus interviews.
You will need the certification number from the certificate that was emailed to you. Email email@example.com to apply for your certificate.
Universities that support graduate student skill enhancement, identify graduate student experience as a key priority, and include professional development for graduate students in their strategic plans should offer the Certification to their students. Certification is available through Beyond the Professoriate’s e-learning platform. The certificate in Academic Career Strategies:
- Prepares PhDs and Postdocs so they know what to expect on the academic job market.
- Creates employable PhDs who can articulate their skills and future potential.
- Complements existing on-campus graduate student career supports.
- Promotes engaged learning through reflective activities that encourage students to apply what they’ve learned.
- Offers recorded lessons, reflective prompts, and assessments that guide the student experience and foster user engagement.