4th Annual Beyond the Professoriate
Online Career Conference for PhDs
Jennifer Polk, PhD, and Maren Wood, PhD, are once again hosting Beyond the Professoriate, the online career conference for PhDs. This year is the fourth annual event, which brings together panelists and presenters from a wide variety of academic backgrounds and careers, from across Canada and the United States. It’s scheduled for Saturday, 6 May, and Saturday, 13 May, starting at 11am EDT on both days. The entire conferences takes place via webconference, and attendees can join live or watch video replays of all sessions for up to 21 days following the live broadcast.
The conference is a two-day online series comprising 10 events or sessions. The full conference program is available on our website. The first day, Career Day, consists of four panels, each with four speakers, all of whom have doctoral degrees:
- Careers in Higher Education
- Careers in Government
- Careers in Nonprofits
- Careers in Industry or Business
More information about all 16 panelists is available via the Speaker Bios page on our website. On 6 May panelists will speak about their own career journeys, what they do now, lessons learned along the way, and respond to audience questions. Panels last for 1 hour and 20 minutes, allowing plenty of time for questions and discussion after brief informal presentations.
The second day is styled Professional Development Day, and consists of six presentations or workshops on key aspects of the job search process. All our speakers have PhDs themselves, and will tailor their presentations to graduate students and doctoral-degree holders searching for jobs in North America (US, Canada).
- Leveraging Your PhD: Identifying Career Paths to Suit You and Your Goals (Catherine Maybrey)
- Stages of the Job Search Process (Rachel Leventhal-Weiner)
- Your Resume & Cover Letter (Kristine Funch Lodge)
- Build Your Brand & Your Network (Jared Wesley)
- How to Articulate Your Transition Story in a Non-Academic Interview (Heidi Scott Giusto)
- The Hiring Process (Josh Magsam)
Tickets to the conference are available via beyondprof2017.eventbrite.com. Early bird tickets (ends 15 April) are only $49 plus the Eventbrite processing fee. Late registration is $59 plus the fee. In past years about half our sales are to individuals, and half are to institutions and associations purchasing tickets in bulk for their students or postdocs. Career education professionals, counsellors, coaches, faculty members, and university staff members all welcome to attend. Both individual and group tickets can be purchased via the Eventbrite link. (For complete details on discounts for bulk purchases or 10+ or 20+ tickets, see Info for Institutions.)
2017 Quick Facts
- 4th Annual Beyond the Professoriate, the Online Career Conference for PhDs
- Saturday, 6 May, and Saturday, 13 May 2017
- 2 days, 10 sessions (4 career panels, 6 presentations), 11+ hours of live interactive video content
- 21-day on-demand video replay
- 16 panelists (Day 1: Career Day) and 6 invited speakers (Day 2: Professional Development Day)
- Hosted entirely online via webconference
- Produced by and for PhDs from a wide variety of disciplines
- More than 750 tickets sold for the 2014-16 conferences, combined
- 2016 attendees: 39% STEM, 26% humanities, 18% social sciences, 6% health, 5% education, 7% other
- *New* All conference attendees will receive free access to the Beyond the Professoriate online community during May 2017! Details to be announced
(Download a smaller sized poster, suitable for social media or email.)
Beyond the Professoriate is an organization that provides professional development programming for PhDs, particularly individuals moving into nonfaculty careers. It was founded by Jennifer Polk, PhD, and L. Maren Wood PhD, who collaborated to produce and host the first annual career conference in May 2014. All programming is delivered online via webconference. The new Beyond the Professoriate community will launch alongside the 4th annual conference in May 2017. Find us online at beyondprof.com and Tweet at us @beyondprof or use the hashtag #beyondprof.